Veneer Finishing

Is it ok to use the web veneer of thin brick to finish the oven? Or are actual thin bricks better?

Welcome to the BrickWood forums, Megan!

If you’re talking about veneer bricks that are attached to a mesh backing, yes, that would be fine. You want to make sure that you use a waterproof grout or mortar to close the joints, and that your joints are sealed well at the back end and base of the oven. It’s important to protect the stucco shell underneath as it cannot be painted if you are using veneer (paint would protect the stucco from the elements).

Heat will not convect all the way through to the stucco, which means it also won’t get any further to your veneer finish.

Sounds like a good plan!

I guess I lied about not having any more questions, and this is more a mason question than an oven question.
As I am finishing my stone veneer, I am covering the front facade of the arch from about the mid-point of the firebrick to the outside radius.
It seems that high-temp’ mortar is right for this job, but will it cure as needed, given that the temp’ on the facade does not get to the maximum curing point? On the other hand, will regular mortar hold up there, given that it does seem to get pretty warm (or maybe that is a function of my fire building?) around the top third of the arch.

Never too many questions, Bill. Glad to take a stab at it.

The high-temp mortar does get hard eventually, with or without heat. If you feel more comfortable using it, it’s going to be fine.

I have enough of both mortars on-site, so I really just wondered (aka over-thought) if one was preferred or better.

Thanks… again and always! It sure is nice having you on the other end of this great forum!

1 Like