Veneer square feet?

How many square feet is the outside of the Brickwood box for the veneer?

Hi John and welcome to the BrickWood forum.

This is from page 19 of the installation manual. (And if you don’t yet have that manual, you should get it. It’s one of 5 full pages on the veneer process.)

Are you building now or are you considering it? Hope you’ll tell us a little more about your build, and glad you’re here!

Matt, Thanks for the information. I knew I saw that information somewhere in all those pages. I’m still having a hard time unfortunately. Can you please give me an estimate on how many sq ft you are coming up with, :pray: Thx John

Happy to help. The table is just a little complicated because there are a couple of different forms in which you might get your veneer. I’ll describe two ways to do it.

So, first: we’re going to look just at the bottom table, because you want to order in sq. ft.

First way: if the veneer you plan to use comes in both straight and corner styles (see the illustration for that), then you want columns 1 and 2. The corners will require 12 linear feet (not square feet because they are individual pieces) to cover the lower and upper boxes. The faces between the corners will need 40.75 square feet, including the trim on the upper box. For both, you will want to add a 10% “allowance” for waste and cut pieces that can’t be fit in somewhere else. So the faces need a total of 44.825 sq feet (call it 45 square feet) to ensure you’ll have enough to complete the veneer without having an “Oh, no, I’ve run out!” moment. I’d also add another corner piece for the same reason.

If you want just face pieces which you’ll run up to the edges and then “turn the corner,” you total the third column to come up with 42.75 square feet, plus your 10 percent allowance to arrive at a total of 47.025 sq feet (call it 47 feet—I’d round that down rather than up).

Or, there’s the second way:

Take your installation manual with you to the masonry dealer, with a flag on page 19, and once you’ve selected the style of veneer you want, ask them to look through both the chart and the following pages to make a recommendation on exactly how much you’ll need. Believe it or not, that can save you a few dollars because they know how each of their products lay out, and they don’t want to see you back with three cases of unused veneer to return. (Nor do they want to inconvenience you by not supplying enough for the job!)

I know that’s way more detail than my first response, John, but I hope it’s all helpful for you and takes a little more of the mystery out of this process. Let me know how it goes, and if we can help in any other way!

1 Like