‘Banjo’ Gas Burner Retrofit & Improving the Door Handle Attachments

Looks great Adam! I’m sure it will do the job, and I like how it turned out.

I’m trying to figure out how to untangle the door handle information from the gas burner information in this thread, and I’ve realized I won’t be able to do it. :slight_smile:

So I’m going to leave the exchange between you and @AZDon Don intact, because it’s great that you have a number of directions in which you are improving your oven!

The gas modification looks great. I did a modification by putting a fireplace clean out door in the rear. When I have extended cook time, I can add wood from the rear. The door is small and I do not lose any heat. It also makes it easy to sweep out ashes to the back of oven.
I have replaced my door handles twice because the heat has deteriorated the wood.

1 Like

Hi Woodburner. I was wondering if you could post pics on how you put in the clean out door and where you purchased it. That would be great addition for cleaning as well as adding more wood.

The door is from Amazon. 40 bucks. I took the standard 4” wide fire brick and cemented them to the door on sides and top. Then I cut a square in the back of oven with a diamond blade about 1/2 inch bigger than that he finished door I made. I used fire brick mortar to put it all together. Been cooking a lot lately and I love the way I can sweep it out and load wood while the oven is cooking without having to toss wood over cooking food. I can really regulate the temp easily. I normally run my oven at 575 deg. I can keep it there easily with no fluctuations.

1 Like