‘Banjo’ Gas Burner Retrofit & Improving the Door Handle Attachments

I’m thinking about doing the same thing. Seems that I would just drill a hole in the side/back of the oven and connect it to 200,000 BTU burner they sell on Amazon. If I do it, I’ll let you know how it works.

1 Like

If you do - please take lots of pics and let us know the make / model of the burner kit. THX!!!

I’m curious as well, and looking forward to seeing any photos. Were you thinking of a “banjo burner”? Most of the 200K BTU burners on Amazon are mounted in stands.

1 Like

Yes exactly, I just ordered it, I’ll let you know how it goes!

2 Likes

Gas in an enclosed space is tricky and dangerous but I am sure it can be done. Looking forward to hearing about the build!

1 Like

Ok guys, I bought this burner off Amazon, drilled a hole, and used black pipe for the connection. After three sessions I would say this has been a success and a no-brainer for anyone hoping to use their oven more! I got this up to 1,000 degrees but cooked most of my pizzas around 800 degrees. I also recommend putting this thermometer in your oven door if you have one, really useful. If you do this, be careful, and start slow and build your way up. You definitely want to keep an eye on everything until you are comfortable with the setup, venting, etc. I think next time I will burn a small amount of wood or pellets for flavor. I’ll try to post updates as I learn more!

2 Likes

Adam, that looks like an unqualified success!

One small flag is to watch out for the heat on your door. The current wooden handles are great for most uses, but if you get up to 800°+, the surfaces where they are in direct contact with the door willl start to scorch and degrade. I am aware that there may be a project in the wind to address that, but in the meantime, it is ideal to follow the general rule for these ovens that pizza-baking temperatures are achieved with the door off the oven completely.

That being said, yes to the thermometer!

What are your thoughts going forward concerning wood? I understand you can still use it alone or in conjunction with the LP burner if you want. We’d love to know how your use of the oven evolves now that you have both options.

Congratulations on this great move!

Thank you Matt! And I appreciate the heads up on the handles, I actually have noticed they have started to burn a little. Because I have a very difficult neighbor who complains of smoke and I never have gotten my fire building skills honed to make high quality pizzas with as little smoke as possible, I’ll likely be using the gas burner with or without small amounts of wood moving forward. I imagine I’ll also start using it for whole chickens, pork butt, bread, etc. The other night my buddy and I cooked 9 pizzas leisurely over the span of 3.5 hours. This would have been really challenging for me tending to the fire the whole time so the added convenience is a game changer for me.

2 Likes

Update, I think I have made the ultimate mods to my oven, at least for my situation with my neighbors complaining about smoke. I bought this weed torch, burned two pieces of kindling and two pieces of wood, and used this and my burner simultaneously to cook excellent pizzas. The weed torch is a game changer for anyone having trouble getting fires started. There was literally no smoke!

IMG_8663
IMG_8662
IMG_8675

4 Likes

Can’t argue with results! And it looks like you’re getting a nice even heat between the banjo burner and the logs. I’m sure there will be many more where that comes from, Adam. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably not rubber of any kind, but that’s the right track.

Wow, great idea! Wondering how long a 5 gallon bottle would last?

I think I went through 60% of a tank last Friday when I made 7 pizzas and had the burner going for 4 hours or so. It’s a great addition to the oven, go for it! But be careful when you start and are getting used to it. I’ve already been using it like 3x more than I did when it was wood only. Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Here is what I did, seems to be working so far!

2 Likes

How did you drill the hole for the pipe and in which direction? Im assumeing the back, nonload bearing wall is the best. Did you put any insulation or morter or? around the pipe to seal the hole from the outside? Thanks for your idea for retrofit!!

And what are the spacers on the door handles?

I drilled a hole in the back of the oven through the center of one of the bricks. I used a hammer drill with two long drill bits, one small then a bigger one just slightly bigger than the pipe, so I didn’t need to use mortar or anything around the hole, although I could to completely seal it. There is a picture of this at the top of the thread.

The spacers are so the wooden handles don’t burn because they aren’t right up on the metal door

So you went through the stucco first - outside of the the oven to the inside, correct?
And to clarify, the spacers are what?. I have a door with the handles getting burnt as well. I assume the spacers and longer bolts will solve the heat issue, but I don’t know what you used for the spacers. Thanks in advance!

Oops- one more question - 1/2 inch black pipe?