Best way to route chimney up and through roof while keeping out rain

I’ve decided to put a roof over my oven. The most important reason is to keep it dry. I found that it’s much easier to get the oven to temp and the pizza comes out better if the inside isn’t wet. In a perfect world, it wouldn’t get wet but it does when it rains, it comes in the chimney and the door and soaks the floor so after 3 years I’m building the roof.

I’ve started testing out various sizes to give me full coverage and a space for a table on the right but I’m still not sure how I’m going to do the chimney part yet. The original plan was to extend the bricks all the way up past the roof and then put my cap back on but this would still allow rain to splash in and down into the oven. I’ve seen some other ovens with a pipe that gets directed away from the oven and then out the roof which would keep the rain out and vent it above the roof. Is this the better option, if so what are the best options for these?

The roof is going to be plywood with cedar shingles so it still blends into the outdoor environment

Hi Ryan!

It feels to me like it’s in the air these days. Keeping our ovens dry is so important for good results, and we’ve just had an extended La Niña weather pattern working against that.

Rather than extending the entire chimney up through a roof, as you’ve seen the most popular method is to extend a stovepipe through. It does need to be a double walled pipe to insulate the roof from the hot gases. It can be DuraVent or something else. Especially if you’re thinking wood, though, you have to have isolation from the heat.

Thanks for the photo, and I’m very interested in your project!

For completion, here it is today and it works great, not a drop on the oven and even the wood under stays dry.

1 Like

Well done! And here in saturated New England that looks like a must have accessory.

Thanks for sharing Ryan, and enjoy your dry oven!