Neapolitan Pizza in a Mattone Barile Grande

Many of you know I enjoy figuring out the various questions that come up when we’re building our ovens. But, it’s not “all work and no play.” As Crash Davis said, “This game is supposed to be fun.”

So here’s a short video I shot the other evening while baking my pies. For anyone who doubts it, you really can put a raw pizza on the hearth and, 3 to 4 minutes later, pull out a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie.

Two pizzas in a Mattone Barile Grande oven
The link takes you to a video hosted on Dropbox

If you’re still working on it, don’t lose heart! This is a real, happening thing!

2 Likes

Excellent Video Matt!

I just gained 2lbs watching that!

Building the oven is almost as much fun as building / baking the pizza…

1000’s of wood-fired pizzas under my belt (and a little hanging over) - and each pizza is just as much fun as the first one.

Thanks again for all of your guidance!

1 Like

Mat they look legit and here is how you know why the crust is puffed and the center bubbly
That is a neopolitan pie! Quick question how long did take to build that fire and what was the floor temp? Sorry thats two questions
Dino

2 Likes

Hi Dino!

Thanks! Yes, minimal ingredients and overnight fermentation in the refrigerator. It’s all stretching and no kneading.

The fire took just over an hour to build, and floor temp 12 inches forward of the ember base is just about 700 F in the middle of the oven. It falls off about 50 degrees to each side.

1 Like