Snow & Ice Protection

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ensure that the oven can withstand the harsh winters of New Hampshire ? I would prefer to not have to shrink wrap it, as I have seen some people in the area do.

Thank you…

Welcome to the BrickWood forums!

I’m going to start my answer by disclosing that, while I currently live in the relatively balmy region of southern Connecticut, I grew up in northern Vermont and lived for four years in the Upper Valley on the New Hampshire side. I understand your concern. (And I should have put “balmy” in quotes—we sometimes get more snow than northern New England, and wintertime temperatures here are usually within 5 or 6 degrees of yours on a given day.)

I’ve had good luck tarping the oven in the wintertime, securing it at the grommets with bungee cords. The dome or barrel shape will ensure that snow slides off, and if you use a dark-colored tarp, you’ll be able to take advantage of whatever sun the weather affords you to melt any residue.

This article explains what BrickWood recommends. Some forum members have wondered why they don’t make a cover for the oven. The answer is that each build starts from a single plan, but there are so many ways of finishing the oven that a one-size-fits-all approach would be impractical.

I agree that shrink-wrap is not a good solution. While it’s incredibly effective in keeping out the elements, it’s also a one-time approach and expense. I also dislike the need to discard the wrap after one use, which seems very wasteful and an unnecessary impact on our resources. To each their own, of course; but I’m not a fan.

Let us know what you end up deciding. I figure New Hampshire winter is at least 3 months away! :slight_smile:

Hey Skidazys welcome!

I live in Central PA, and we get a lot of Snow and rain as well. Shrink wrap is a no go man… I keep mine covered with a tarp and then place leftover bricks on the outside of the oven to hold the tarp down. It does not look very good, but it keeps the water out of the oven.
I kept mine uncovered for several weeks and had a lot of water work its way onto my hearth and it got REALLY wet. Took me several low fires to get it all dried out. Currently looking for a custom door that i can mount into my opening to close it like an oven. Like @bikerbudmatt says a most folks customize their ovens, so they are all different sizes and dimensions.

Hey,
An ex-Vermonter, I’ve spent many crazy colds days over at Sugarbush…
I agree on everything you mentioned about the shrink wrap and I currently working on figuring out a plan to enclose the oven in a housing structure which I have seen out on the web, then all I need to be concerned about is the oven door. If you find any solutions on the door please let me know and I will do the same on this end. Thanks for the input and I also agree on the 3 month time window before we start getting ready for winter again … :>)

1 Like

Here’s my solution (see photos…) I cut the original metal door to fit snugly in the oven portal…mounted on a slab of plywood (which fits up to - but outside - the oven; outside cedar boards, and re-used original door handles; also, I got a little crazy and installed air vents; I framed around the metal with oven rope, so it is a really snug fit. When I make my last pizza (mid-December, I will run a bead of window insulation around the perimeter of the door where it touches the brick. This door also acts to keep the smoke going up the chimney, instead of adding soot to the brick facade.IMG_1597

1 Like

Very nice, is there any techncial reason you couldn’t fire up the stove in the winter ?

Yes, technically it is called “Chicago Winter”
a few more photos…
91) Assembled - interior of door 85) Backside, ceramic blanket, old handles

2 Likes

Welcome to the BrickWood forums!

That’s a great way to protect your oven interior, which is really what’s needed. A lot of work went into the doors, but I’ll also observe that your exterior shell is very well suited to protecting the contents. Wonderful build!

You might not be able to cook through a Chicago Winter, but you’re certainly kicking its butt on the “getting into your oven” front!