Types of Firewood to use for Wood-Fired BBQ

Nothing smells better than burning wood! On my “Best Scents List”, it’s right-up there with the new car scent, new tires scent, Grandma’s kitchen and that scent you get when you crack open a new can of tennis balls. Ahhhhh…. While almost all types of firewood have that distinct “burning-wood” smell, there are other characteristics that are unique to each species (type) of wood and each of these characteristics provide a different cooking experience.

On the next page, we list the best types of “Cooking Wood” for slow-smoking food and adding some serious smoke flavor to your wood-fired BBQ. But what about the species of wood that aren’t on that list? Well, take a look at the Types of Firewood for BBQ list below and see what we rated at BURNS, BETTER and BEST to help you decide which species of firewood is best for your needs. “BURNS” means just that. It’s wood… it will burn. But try to get your hands on a BETTER or BEST before you load-up on bland wood that just… burns.

Search for a Firewood Dealer near you on America’s LARGEST Firewood Directory - Firewood For Sale

PLEASE HELP US FILL IN THE GAPS! If you use one of the woods listed above that contains a blank space, please let us know how you would rate the wood for each category (Flavor, Smoke, Heat, etc…). Please send your results and/or recommendations to: Firewood@BrickWoodOvens.com. Thanks Mucho!

In the do not use category it says to not use furniture scrap wood. I own a cabinet shop and was wondering if burning the unfinished scraps would be OK? Only thing I can think of is that it would burn too hot.

Great Question!

If the wood is UNFINISHED ( NOT stained, varnished, painted, etc…)… then it is a-okay to use!

In fact, it would be a great wood to use to heat the oven as furniture wood has (typically) been kiln dried and has little-to-zero moisture content, so there will be very little smoke coming from your fire.

Just avoid any woods containing chemicals of any sort - even when used for heating the oven as those chemicals can turn toxic when exposed to heat / flame.