Ward Gas Burner With Custom Port and Door

I built burner opening on the side. I had a welder custom make the door, I planned this during the build. I really struggled with choosing the placement since I did not see any ovens with propane added.

My next Idea is to cut 2 fire bricks at a slant place inside of the oven to create a convection type oven sending the flame in a spiral as it hits the fire brick. I have not used the burner much yet to give feed back, except you see in photo of the burner flame is better than I thought flame would be this was my first try I could not wait to see how it worked. I have used this burner to start the wood fire.
I would say it helped start wood fire quicker. This burner is removable and the hose has a quick disconnect if I don’t use the burner, I just close the door.

the link below has several choices, I purchased the MR100 Burner what Ward burner suggested for use in most pizza ovens…

http://www.wardburner.com/burnersparts/venturiburners.html

Ward Burner Systems
PO Box 1086
Dandridge, TN
USA

865.397.2914 phone
865.397.1253 fax

www.wardburner.com

1 Like

Hey there, PizzaBob (love that handle!), and welcome to the BrickWood forum.

Well, thanks to your great photos, now we have some to see. The two photos of the flame remind me of how my own oven looks when I have it set up for pizza, though the flame isn’t as intense-looking as I might have expected. I actually think that’s better, especially when you’re starting with a cold oven.

I really like the door, and think it adds a lot both aesthetically and functionally. Hoping that @BrickWood sees this because we’ve talked in the past about a gas option for his ovens.

For sure, we want to know your continuing experience with this burner, and especially the modification you’re planning. Great application!

1 Like

Excellent Installation and THANK YOU for the pictures!

We’ve been recommending Ward Burners since we started, and this is the first time we’ve received pics from a homeowner that installed one! So thank you for that!

The custom door is phenomenal too! Looks like it was made in a factory.

Very well done! Please keep us in mind as you use the oven and let us know your thoughts about the burner & door.

Someday, when we’re all caught up and making installation videos, we’re going to build an oven w/ the Ward burner - and yes… installation on the right or left side is EXACTLY where you need it!

Again - GREAT JOB!

1 Like

Thank you, for the kind feedback. Door was made by a local welder. I want him to also make me a permanent half front hinged double door to keep in some heat just have not been able to get done yet. have been struggling to quickly get temp hot enough with just wood so last time I used both propane and wood and this turned out to be the best attempt yet.
I do have the door that does work, but the handles get very hot, I have no where to place door safely to use when cooking.
I haven’t had much time this year to use my oven. I hoped to finish my outdoor kitchen area this year but next year I will make it a priority to finish this oven I still have grout around the bottom base and tile to add to add then my project will be complete the oven then a working prep area a counter will help with pizza making.

2 Likes

Wood and propane together sounds like the best of both worlds. You get both the heat and the flavorful smoke that way.

I’m not an expert on this, but looking at your door it looks like the handles have a lot of mass. They’ll absorb and hold heat for a long time, just like a cast-iron cooking vessel. Coiled-wire handles (look like a spring shaped like a pine cone) would be a lot easier on your hands. Maybe an attachment hole in the bottom of the existing handle, and the coiled-wire handle attached at that point?

This was not an ideal summer for lots of pizza here, either. We had tree work done this summer that took out use of the backyard for quite a while. My consolation is I now have 5 full trees’ worth of maple waiting to be split and eventually burned in the oven.

1 Like

I love this idea. Do you see any specific challenges in that my oven is complete with firebrick, interior 4" of thermal blanket, chicken wire and stucco. I believe I can successfully create the opening. Which Ward burner do you recommend for the Barile Grande? Thanks in advance. dmacrino@saint-bernard.com

1 Like