What did you cook over the holiday weekend?

Yes, we grilled sausages on the Tuscan grill this Fourth of July weekend, because that’s just traditional.

But on July 4, it was Pork Saltimbocca, and believe me, the Mattone Barile is an awesome oven for a hot and wild ride for these pork tenderloins! The “browning flame” becomes a roasting flame to cook them to perfection; what I can’t show you is the second pan with sliced Bell peppers because my hands were too full to juggle the camera.

It reminded me once again that these are full-service appliances. If you’re “just” baking pizzas, you’re missing out on a world of good eating.

Preheating the pan at 850°F.

Browning the saltimbocca—pork tenderloin wrapped in garlic, sage, and prosciutto

Flames did their work. So nice that the splatters from the pan are self-cleaning.

2 Likes

18 lbs brisket from snake river farms in my Brickwood Box :slight_smile:
And cured salmon because might as well stick something else in when fired up for 13 hours :).

3 Likes

Can’t wait to build our brick wood box! :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

1 Like

Been using (and appreciating) it for about 2 years and finally getting around to finishing the stone work. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to @loveadrenalinh for bumping up this thread so we could get another look at that amazing brisket/salmon combo from last year. @Tooschaye has found the secret to Smoker Nirvana, I do believe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just ordered another brisket yesterday, so fresh pictures in a few weeks…
(annoyingly difficult to get one locally)

1 Like

Just pizzas, though the friends and family like to throw out challenges like half pesto chicken with bacon and arugula and the other half pepperoni and banana peppers all on rye pizza crust.

Challenge accepted.

2 Likes

What I call an engaged and appreciative audience. As long as you deliver. :upside_down_face:

Matt, that sounds delicious, what a great combination. That’s a serious fire, looks awesome. Is that a Lodge cast iron pan?

Yes it is. I like the no handles version. Easy to turn around (and a lot of times I’ll just do that with my welding gloves).

This is my favorite: cast iron quarter sheet pan. Got this working last evening, with a focaccia.

We’ve had some rain in New England this week, so I like to do a bake or a roast to get the oven dried out before I get up to full temp.

1 Like

Wow, the bread and pan look awesome. Doing a bake is a great idea to dry things out. I don’t currently own any Lodge pans, but now know what to ask for Christmas. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There is no Christmas like a cast iron Christmas! And these are seriously perfect for our ovens. Pretty much any cast iron utensil is, and I like Lodge because it’s been made domestically for a long, long time.

1 Like

Paella is my favorite to make on Brickwood Box when not using it as a smoker (perhaps better in Summer…)

3 Likes

Brisket and Salmon my favorites to smoke, but chicken is third…

2 Likes

If I could click the like button twenty times I would. That’s some serious culinary skills on display.

1 Like

Looks amazing, you are a master chef!